- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 apples, shredded
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, divided
Caramel Icing ingredients
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2- 1/2 cups of confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 caramel candies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 (12 cup) cupcake pans with 18 cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, beat sugar and eggs together until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Add flour, milk, oil, shredded apple, baking powder, and vanilla and beat for another minute, just until the batter is smooth and creamy. Don't overbeat. Pour batter into the prepared cupcake pan(s).
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until the tops are golden and a toothpick poked into the center of the layer comes out clean.
- To make icing, melt butter and brown sugar in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes. Add milk and continue stirring until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool to room temperature. Pour cooled mixture into the bowl of a mixer and add in sifted confectioners sugar and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, until mixture comes together and is creamy.
- Allow cupcakes to cool before icing. Ice each cupcake with about 2 tablespoons of icing and top each with one caramel candy.
Hate the mess you make when filling cupcake liners? Pour batter into a measuring cup. The spout will make filling the cupcake liners easy and mess-free.